Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver







Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.












I thought this was a very different take on dystopian novels. Love is a disease and there is a procedure so that you don't have to suffer the pain that we do today when we break up with someone. I have never read a book like this. 

This book is about a girl named Lena who follows the rules because the procedure didn't work for her mother and she doesn't want to end up like her. Then she meets Alex. He is different and has a dark secret. One that will change Lena's view of her society and her view of herself. She has to make many difficult decisions. Ones that will change, not only her life, but also her family and friends. 

Sometimes I didn't know what was going on, but this is a book that I would recommend you read at least once. I would give this book 4/5 stars. It was an interesting twist on a dystopian world over come by a disease called LOVE or as the book calls it, amor deliria nervosa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment