The Codex by Cassandra Claire & Joshua Lewis
Since the thirteenth century, the Shadowhunter’s Codex has been the one and only manual for Shadowhunters looking to brush up on their demon languages, learn proper stele use, and discover just what exactly a pyxis is. Featured in both The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, this guide is a necessity for any young Nephilim on their journey to becoming a Shadowhunter. Beautifully illustrated, the Codex contains images of the famous Shadowhunter homeland of Idris, as well as depictions of demons and other Downworlders.
But this isn’t just any copy of The Shadowhunter’s Codex. It’s Clary’s copy, and as an artist herself, she’s sketched pictures of her friends and family in the book, and scrawled helpful advice in the margins. Of course, she couldn’t exactly stop Jace or Simon from adding their thoughts either. Part encyclopedia, part history, part training manual—complete with commentary from Shadowhunters who have seen it all—this beautiful guide is a perfect supplement to the #1 New York Times bestselling series
Why Do People Become Shadowhunters, by Mangus Bane
Possible Reasons Why:
- You possess stout heart, strong will, and able body.
- You possess a stout body, able will, and wrong heart.
- Local Shadowhunters are ironically punishing you by making you join them.
- You were recruited by a Local Institute to join the Nephilim as an ironic punishment for you mistreatment of Downworlders.
- Your home, village, or nation is under siege by demons.
- Your home, village, or nation is under siege by rouge Downworlders.
- You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- You know too much, and should be recruited because the secrecy of the Shadow World has already been compromised for you.
- You know too little; it would be helpful to the Shadowhunters if you knew more.
- You know exactly the right amount , making you a natural recruit.
- You possess a natural resistance to glamour magic and must be recruited to keep you quiet and provide you with some basic protection.
- You have a compound last name already and convinced someone important that yours is a Shadowhunter family and the Shadowhuntersiness has just been weakened by generations of poor breeding.
- You had a torrid affair with a member of the Nephilim Council, and now he's trying to cover his tracks.
- Shadowhunters are concerned enough, they are no longer haughty and condescending enough—have sought you out to add a much needed boost of haughty condescension.
- You ave been bitten by a radioactive Shadowhunter, giving you the proportional strength and speed of a Shadowhunter.
- Large bearded man on flying motorcycle appeared to take you away to Shadowhunter school. (Note: Presence of flying motorcycle suggests bearded man may be a vampire.)
- Your mom has been in hiding from your evil dad, and you found out you're a Shadowhunter only a few weeks ago.
That's right. Seventeen reasons. Because that's how many I thought of. Now run off, little Shadowhunter, and learn to murder things. And be nice to Downworlders.